2/10/2008

Pedro Martinez y Juan Marichel 2/10/08 jpw

Was anyone else surprised at the lack of violence in the
Pedro Martinez cockfighting video? I know it's cruel,
inhumane, and the birds die, but if that's what cockfighting
is like, is it really that enjoyable to watch? I sometimes
take morning dumps that are more violent than that. It kind
of reminds me of the time when I was a kid that Matt Sweeton
and I biked to Wal-Mart to buy a female Chinese fighting
fish and two males, because he wanted to make them fight.
The lady at Wal-Mart would only sell us one male because she
said they would fight (Would anyone buy these fish for
another purpose?), so we had to bike to K-Mart to get the
other male. When we got back to Matt's house and dropped
them all in a bowl together, do you know what happened?
Nothing! I mean, maybe one of them changed colors a tiny
bit, but there was no biting or pecking or thrashing or whatever it is
fish do when they fight. Matt had made a horrible
investment of approximately $6. I suppose Pedro lost more
than that with his bird, but it still wasn't very exciting.
They just kept flapping their feathers everywhere with no
blood or anything. After about five seconds you couldn't tell
which bird was which, and all of the sudden one of them was
lying lifeless on the ground and the camera switched over to
Pedro who was sitting with a little grin on his face like
Johan Santana had just given up a home run to Chipper Jones
or something (hi Nark). Now I can kind of see why Michael Vick was
into dogfighting. If you are going to do something hideous
and inhumane on the black market, there might as well be
tons of violence and growling and blood and that sort of
thing. Of course, my dogfighting knowledge is based solely on
two movies: Amores Perros (a Cmah recommendation) and Fresh
(a Big Daddy Drew recommendation), so I may be completely off
base when I say that dogfighting is a much more entertaining way to get
arrested than cockfighting or fishfighting.

No comments: