3/02/2008

The Hold Steady: Still in the Bars--(Hopefully for the Ausinist.com-Let me know what you think)-bwh

I explained to my buddy, Mark, that he had no choice; we HAVE to see the Hold Steady. NPR, I told him, named the Hold Steady “the best bar band in America.” If you ask me, NPR probably knows bar bands like a nun knows sex positions. But Mark, that goofy bastard, loves NPR.

I divide concerts in Austin into three categories: 1. not worth it, 2. I’d feel bad missing it or, 3. if you’d like to continue being my friend you’d better go. NPR advice notwithstanding, the Hold Steady fall right into that third category.

I’m also forcing Mark to listen to the Hold Steady for at least an hour every day. To his first listen, the Hold Steady sounded like the music his older played driving him to track practice. The Hold Steady songs are about characters as familiar as the riffs: Gideon the lovable fuck-up, Charlemagne the scary but incredibly older guy and Holly the beautiful, contagious party girl. I can’t wait to hear what happens to them in the yet to be released album “Stay Positive.”

For all their gritty stories and critical acclaim, the Hold Steady play with the enthusiasm of kids in a garage. It’s as if they can’t quite believe they’re rock stars. Granted, the lead singer looks like a level 8 Dungeonmaster, and the keyboardist is a pair of overalls away from stomping Koopa Troopas—but the Hold Steady seem to really appreciate being rock stars.

The Hold Steady are playing at Emos on March 27th. Gideon, Charlemagne and Holly will be there, so will Mark.

1 comment:

cmah said...

I'll take credit for first identifying the HS Keyboardist/Luigi likeness.

Did you listen to any of the bands I recommended?

Return my blitzes, you sandbagger.